Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 07:38 PM

Default Re: 4 Foot Vivarium Build From The Ground Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post

The other thing that might help save some money (which you probably already know if you are a woodworker) is that that veneer worked great for me with pocket screws. My one quality stand is made of oak, but my friend did a fantastic job with pockets screws in oak veneer plywood and I bet it knocked 50% off the cost of the wood for the project.
I am in complete agreement. There is absolutely nothing wrong with plywood. Folks knock the stuff all the time but its honestly a wonderful product that when used correctly is every bit as strong and durable as solid wood. I will be using plywood on the central door panels and the sides of the stand. Doing wood panel glue-ups to recreate what plywood gives me in this location is simply too time consuming with not enough benefit. I haven't decided yet if I will use birch ply stained dark or spring for walnut ply. The price difference is essentially triple the cost.

Quote:

Keep up the good work! You demonstrate a lot of wisdom and understanding in dealing with your wife and her opinions on the project, BTW.
When I started dating my now wife, we had a discussion early on how to settle disagreements. Basically we decided that whenever we disagree the person who cares more wins. So if something is really important to one person but only middling important to the other then the person who cared more about the issue gets their way. Its been working well for us. In this case my wife cared a decent amount. She didn't say so coherently ;P But that was because I just made something and she didn't want to poo poo it too much. For my part I cared but I also saw where she was coming from and frankly I have a lot of fun making stuff so I don't mind going back to the drawing board (literally) to make this thing happen.

Quote:

Sounds like you have it under control. Oh, to have had the forethought to use 5 gallon buckets as overflows. I don't have room under my stands (they are all double-deckers except one) so I have mostly little, flat plastic storage containers crammed under the bottom tanks that I regularly forget to dump. That is a recipe for horrifying floor damage. You are already on a better track.
Not sure if you solved this yet, but just thinking about this issue, if your tanks are next to each other, could you have them all drain to a central reservoir (one of your flat ones that fit under your stands), and then put in that reservoir a pump and a float switch. The pump would have a hose on it to go to a single large storage container (5 gallon bucket, jerry can, watever you can fit in a single discrete location). You could then put a water warning system in place so you won't be able to forget to empty it. Or if you are willing and able to, through a wall and down into a basement drain. Just spit ballin.