Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 04:57 PM

Default Re: 4 Foot Vivarium Build From The Ground Up

Update:

A review of the wood supplies I had on hand showed that I have a LOT of black walnut. This was not too surprising because I had a lot of walnut left over/reserved for a nightstand project from a few years (and a few houses) ago. This included a ridiculously large 12/4 beam. It was big enough that I could not safely cut it using my floor instruments so I used a circular saw and did it with 2 cuts (one on either side).

Once I had a chunk that was a bit easier to work with I could focus on flattening it and making a perpendicular angle.

From there I could cut it apart into legs using the bandsaw:

And from there I could cut everything to length and width and finally using a tenon jig make my joints for the legs:

These pieces will be the four main support legs for the stand. I still need to round over the edges for a smoother look but otherwise they are pretty much good to go for assembly.

I will likely be using the other half of the beam to make the 4 long horizontal parts of the frame. I started the work there and flattened the beam but I don't have a picture of it.

Its been a while since I've done quality woodworking and I've forgotten how much fun it is. Next up more woodworking!