Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 01:55 PM

Default Re: 4 Foot Vivarium Build From The Ground Up

Thank you folks! Its a lot of fun building the stand. When it turned out more or less the way I envisioned it, it makes the whole thing all the better.

That said... Update!

Soooo long story short. The Wife did not like the stand.....

That she didn't like it I do not begrudge her, I just REALLY wish she had voiced her opinion before I built the darn thing and moved it into the house. We had gone over the design and dimensions when it was still in the planning stages, heck this is even the second version of the stand, the first is still very much present in my shop. Still when it finally was in the house she did not like the look of it. We moved it around to 3 different locations hoping it would look better in a different setting but in the end it just wasn't cutting it.

To be clear my wife was willing to accept the stand but I have been married long enough to read between the lines. If I kept the stand she would forever be unhappy about it and I really want her to enjoy having the frogs, and more pointedly, having them in the middle of our living room.

So its back to the drawing board ;P

The main complaint about the stand is that it was too big and too tall. The stand is 49 inches long, 28 inches wide and 38.5 inches tall. I made it this height and size so that I could put a 120 gallon rimless aquarium down in the future if I desire and have it supported appropriately all the way around and so I could be standing next to it and be at perfect viewing height without having to bend over.

The Wife simply didn't like that size. She also was not happy with the overall design aesthetic which I modeled after other aquarium stands.

The new stand will be 51 inches long, 22 inches wide, and 34 inches tall. This design will fit a 75 gallon rimless tank if I ever go that route. It will also use much nicer wood and be stained instead of painted. It will also have some halflaps and proper frame and panel doors. So in general just a much more advanced stand then the previous versions. I made a sketchup model of the stand last night and the wife tentatively approves the design. This will be the third build of this stand. I told her its the last one darn it ;P

Now I need to get rid of the existing stand. Anyone in Maryland want to buy a stand?