Dendroboard - View Single Post - Beginner Amazonia Setup for P. Terribilis.
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Beginner Amazonia Setup for P. Terribilis.

Sounds like a nice setup!

You will want to use RO or distilled water instead of dechlorinated tap water if you weren't planning to already. Its much less convenient but the benefits for plants and maintenance outweigh the negatives. Plus there is an argument that its better for the frogs as well.

Once you get the tank setup you will figure out the misting schedule. There seems to be no predicting this in advance since your humidity level is controlled not only by your tank, the vents you have open, but also by the amount of substrate you have, the number of plants, the type of plants, how big those plants are, and how healthy they are.

Regarding target humidity, there seems to be two schools of thought. One school says 80-100% humidity is correct. The other says 60-80% is correct. I tried the 80-100 when I first got my tank but quickly veered towards the 60-80% school. The reason was that the frogs seem to be fine at that humidity level, and I want to be able to see my darn frogs ;P At humidity levels in the 90s the glass has too much condensed water on it to see much.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the insitu fans are not powerful. I also have an insitu with the fans installed and I was surprised by how ineffective they really are. I thought they would clear up any condensation in a few minutes, but that is not the case. I do a single heavy misting in the morning for 40 seconds. The fans start up a few minutes later and run the rest of the day. It takes about 6 hours after the misting before the glass is clear again and the plants leaves are relatively dry. Anyway I suggest using a smart power strip to control your lights and fans. You can do mechanical timers if you really want, but smart power strips are nice because you can create different schedules if that's your thing and they are compact by comparison since you probably want a power strip anyway.

My last piece of advice is definitely start your fly cultures at least 1 month in advance (earlier if you don't mind the hassle). You will just be tossing the flies in the meantime but once you get your frogs it will be nice to have everything ready to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to minorhero For This Useful Post:
JackReidMarx (07-30-2020)