No Threads to Display.

facebook

Thread: House fire
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 02:48 AM

Default Re: House fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubfiction View Post
As great as natural lighting sounds the reality is its just much easier to manage things artificially. Heat, and variability in light are 2 factors that are a major hassle. Now alot of this depends on how into things you are, but I just want the throw that out there. Alot of modern keepers of all sorts of things that were traditionally thought best done in green houses are giving up and going with all LED lighting.

Also built in shelves for frogs also sound nice but will have major down sides. For one if you ever sell the house its most likely no one will appreciate it. I have actually come to dispise built in shelves in almost every place they are used in any house. They simply lack flexibility and never seem to work for the next person or project. And they constantly force me to rebuy things I already own because they wont fit in the built ins. If you do still go with them make sure they are very very flexible IE you have lots of horizontal space and they have completely adjustable vertical spacing.

Now one thing I would recommend you build in is a central infrastructure closet. Ideally, it would be between the living room and frog room. But basically you build a closet that isn't too big and is also probably unfinished. It allows you to reconfigure things and finish the other 2 rooms very well. Many people will build one of these to service an entertainment center but yours would service the frog room, and an entertainment center if you so wish. And usually, they maintain good value on the home because even if the next person has no use for any of that it can be used as storage. They can also serve as some sound suppression.

Run ethernet to every room and possibly multiple, keep it away from the electrical where ever possible.

Run a drain and water to the frog room, you can completely automate a ton of the frog work and make it look hella good. And a new person could turn it into a bar. Or maybe even make your frog room a bar too!
I have a completely automated drain plus RODI system for my frogs and it sure is nice not having to do literally anything at all ever to service the water for all the tanks its hooked up to. Just make sure its all working and swap out filters every 6 months.

You might want to consider a separate AC system for the frog room, or some way to vent heat or even just extra vents in there that could be opened or closed due to the increased heat output in such an area. Once the framing is done its easy to do this but much harder to fix the forced air system is already done and the house is finished.

When ever you are ready if you want to start your collection you can PM me I could put together very diverse plant clipping package for a good price.

Another side track is home entertainment. Even if you dont plan to use it or dont care you might want to do some looking into what it would take to make a living room or the frog room a great home theater. This is another thing that can really give a house a wow factor and isnt a very expensive add on when building new but is a ton of work and expense when trying to remodel it into a plan. This would include extra sound proofing. Picking the right floor material for subwoofers, running in wall wires for surround speakers and isolating the electrical. Also included would be running channels in the wall for a TV so you can drop cables and power completely hidden to the receiver. Anyone who is into console video gaming, some PC video gamers, and anyone who likes watching movies or appreciates music will love this. And that is a much bigger group of people than froggers!
I should have phrased built in better.. i more meant built from wood / furniture quality.
My previous setup had the mist pumps in the basement as well as a decent mount of ro water and a waste water storage that was used for laundry. Drainage is a must though. It will evolve over time.. right now Im just spitballing ideas and figured Id kind of turn this into a build thread as we progress. The false wall / closet would be difficult due to floor plan issues. The plan is to open up the kitchen dining room and living room. I debated possibly opening the frog room as well or relocating the kitchen to that area.. all that has to wait until the engineer / architect faze.