Progress has been made! Since I last posted I was able to apply a coat of killz primer throughout the stand. Here is how that looked:
Though its not pictured I did end up adding another support in the middle of the back wall. Completely unneeded for a vivarium but if I ever decide to put a 120 gallon aquarium on top of this stand, that back support will provide good piece of mind.
After that it was time to work on the doors. The proper way to make a door is what is called a floating panel where the door is a solid wood panel with the middle trapped but not glued inside a frame. For a stand I was not going to bother doing that. Instead I cheated... heavily and used 1/2" plywood with wood glued directly to it on 2 of the 3 sides. Here is what that looked like:
Once the doors were glued up it was time to turn my attention to painting. I chose BEHR Marquee One-Coat "Imperial Gray" PPU26-02. I used an exterior paint to go with it as well. I am pretty happy with the result. I chose some pretty basic hinges, handles, and magnetic closures and tada:
Here is a slightly closer look at the concrete top while it was sitting around:
I applied a sealer to the concrete and then for giggles rubbed on some paste wax as well.
At this point it was time to move the gosh darn thing. Thanks to covid this was going to be a one man job. Golly that top is heavy. I am not a big guy so moving a 150lbs of concrete top around was kind of a big deal for me. I do have a hand truck which made it possible but yea... it kind of sucked.
In the end though it all come together:
Its a TALL stand. I designed it that way so that my head would basically be in the middle of the door for viewing purposes. Still having it in place I am reminded once more that 180 gallons of viv is a LOT ;P
Next up I will be doing some paint touchup on the stand where it got scuffed coming in and having the top slid on. Then building the actual vivarium.