No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 03:27 PM

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,350 Posts
Default Re: dis-mounting orchids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Yeah, the only commercially-mounted mounts I have are pressed cork, treefern, cedar slabs, and assorted "sticks" (Andy's). The only natural-cork surfaces I have mounts on are those I mounted myself. (Just a few Tolumnia and a Leptotes, neither of which are being moved to a terrarium.) But I've found that the pressed cork has enough nooks and crannies that most fine-rooted orchids work their way in there so they have to be picked out. It's kind of meditative work, though, so I don't mind it.

Re: BSI E.T. - sounds like good stuff; I'll have to look for it. Since I think in your video you advised not to get it wet for awhile after mounting, I'm curious how that works for use on coral? Don't live coral need to stay submerged?
When you use it on corals, you would put a drop or two on the base of your coral. You submerge the coral, live side down, glue at the very top. If you reverse it and dip it glue first, it tries to run up the side, and gets all over the flesh. Now the salt water immediately skins over the glue. It skins it over enough, that you have to gently sort of swirl the glued end onto it's underwater mount. You have to break that skin and get it to stick to the mount. Hold for a few seconds, and you're good to go. The skin prevents any bleeding. Plus, if you can see the nasty, stark white, superglue at the bottom, it's not a big deal. Soon enough, the flesh of the coral will colonize the glue, spreading down onto the mount, till the glue is buried and incorporated into the corals skeleton. It even lays down a new "skeletal" system over and around the glue, attaching the coral far more securely than the glue alone could.

When you use it orchids, it behaves differently. There is no salt water to skin the glue over. Instead, if you mist it with fresh water, the glue thins and begins bleeding into the sphagnum. The problem there is that it turns an obtrusive, pure white, which looks out of place on a reef, or in a jungle. In the jungle, your mounted plant does not grow over the sphagnum. Instead, it tends to grow outwards, away from the sphagnum. You are going to see that sphagnum for a long time.