Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Ethics of keeping legally questionable frogs

Here’s what I see,

1. The demand for exotic animals has always(several thousands years) and will always exist, the only difference between historical times and 20th/21st century is we are fifthly stinking rich now. A large percentage of people in 1st and 2nd world countries can afford these exotic animals. No longer a “privilege” reserved for the nobles. Thinking this demand will be lost is naive. Sure some species may fall out of fashion the general demand for exotic species will always exist, as long as we remain wealthy enough to keep the spreadsheet look good.
2. Smugglers have always and will always exist. Again it’d be naive to think otherwise, again what is smuggled will surely change with cost(risk) and demand driving those changes.

From what I understand Brazil is simply making it illegal to export their wildlife, they ignore the fact there is demand, and it’s difficult to stop smugglers(we’ve been trying to figure out how to deal with smugglers since the invention of agriculture). They should be supplying the market not blacklisting it. What I picture is Toreso De Colombia , all though I know there are questions with how legit this operation is, never the less at the least concept of a country breeding and supplying the market with the highly desired and trafficked animals.

1. Hire people to breed various animals that are both in high demand and at the highest risk(lowest population numbers). It doesn’t need to be some crazy fancy facility, I’ve seen operations with people raising Pumilio(as well lizards, turtles, etc)in paddock style farming much like you would raise a small group of chickens.
2. This generates jobs as well as contributes to GDP, while using officers(whatever the appropriate law enforcement agency) is all cost with the only benefit being preservation of natural resources. Obviously preservation of species diversity, and beauty of natural resources has value we just haven’t found a effective way to price this higher than the value of destroying it(smuggling to extinction in the wild, deforestation).

Shaming people who own illegal animals is hardly a effective strategy. Sure you might feel good about yourself for being “morally better” but it does little to alter demand and isn’t a legitimate solution to the issue(not calling anyone out we all have our stick, be it this or that, simply pointing out what I see).

The question is then why isn’t Brazil currently doing this? I don’t have an answer. It could be economic, not enough money to organize and regulate such a system. It could purely be an organizational issue. Yes, you need money to fund a project but the organizational aspect is the hard part. Maybe some one here to point out why this currently is not being implemented by Brazil, or maybe it is and I’m just woefully ignorant.

Ive said all this under one assumption, we want to prevent the destruction of a country’s wildlife and other various natural resources. How we do that is the interesting part. Just some ramblings from this morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ranitomeya Fantastica “True Nominal” 1.1.0