Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Ethics of keeping legally questionable frogs

Quote:
Bizarre. Morality regarding frog-keeping is different than morality sensu lato? I ain't buying that, not for a second.
Heh, everything I have said in this thread is applicable specifically to the question posed by the OP. You keep trying to widen the scope to levels where my statements are no longer applicable. Seriously though, asking you point blank, if next week Brazil said blue galacs are legal to export, is there a moral issue now with buying a legally exported blue galac?

Quote:

This also implies that moral=legal in general? Unless there is something fundamentally different about frog keeping, somehow.
No... still just applicable to this thread and only this thread. Not making broad definitive statements about life, the universe and everything.

Quote:

Also, this implies that while morality is typically subjective (note that I'm sure not making this claim), morality just happens in this case to be objective and furthermore is completely described by legislation (and what's more, legislation that is somewhat in disagreement [Lacey and CITES don't square entirely]). Wow.
I can if we were to go down this path come up with examples were morality is subjective and where it is most definitely not. We can trade hypotheticals back and forth and talk about theory ranging from Hobbs to Locke and talk about Natural Law, then delve deep in to Rousseau; BUT doing so serves zero purpose since this thread is just about blue galacs and maybe about other frogs as well which I'm pretty sure John Locke was not much concerned with and Rousseau might have been grossed out from. ;P In other words broadening this thread to include all forms of human interaction is not particularly helpful given the subject.

Edit: I would also like to point out that we reached Godwin's Law at post 19 ;P Neither good nor bad, just sayin.

Last edited by minorhero; 06-30-2020 at 07:17 PM.