Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Ethics of keeping legally questionable frogs

Whew, caught my breath.

Mark, to answer your question: I have a pair of Uhern line imitator. I don't know whether they came in legally back in the day; maybe soon I'll try to figure that out.

When I bought them, I didn't know about any of this legal issues, really; no more than I knew that lots of herps have smuggled origins. I wouldn't buy frogs again without having some idea that they are very likely or certainly of legal background.

Since I bought them in a state of relative ignorance (culpable, maybe; perhaps I should have known better, or done more research, but that didn't seem crucial then), I don't feel too bad about it. If I had known about it, and overrode any moral qualms anyway, I would regret it much, much more (I don't think I would have in fact overruled the moral issue, though the legal aspect is less troubling to me), and certainly would not continue to own them, if only because it is better to admit mistake and stop making it than to admit and continue.

I used to own a pair of Mexican Sceloporus; I suspect (but don't know) that these have smuggled origins. I no longer have them (lost one, sold one) and feel much better not having to worry about even the suspicion that they originated from smuggling.

- Whitman