Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Ethics of keeping legally questionable frogs

I feel everyone have to ask themselves what the difference is between smuggled frogs and 'legaly' exported frogs.

The line between legal and illegal is ver very thin on this subject.

Look at all those 'legal' Oophaga (pumilio) imports over the years. As far I understand it, they are just all laundred.. But laundred means made legal correct?

Just because a (corrcupt) government allows people to catch wild frogs and export them so they both profit, does this make it less or more ethical?

or the otherway around :

I recently talked to Brazilian Herpetologist and they told me they are (illegaly) catching wild frogs to save them from certain exctiction. There are no laws in habitat destruction, so the people act themselves to save since they are not legaly allow to keep them. Is this wrong or just?

Imo the whole ethical question of these topics is : 'is not keeping any kind of foreign frogs (or other wildlife for that mather) as pets, promoting illegal trafficing it self?' By showing off our exotic animals, we are creating an audiance who wants to keep frogs themselves. When we create 'demand', that audiance needs suply.. That suply is mostly or always given by dirty fingers. Imo only Tesoros, WIkiri and Understory provides 'legal' animals. I have no knowlegde of other legal frogfarms. So the only frogs we should have in this hobby need to originate from those.

As stated a numerous times before. Most people don't even know they are buying or bought legal or illegal animals.. How can you be sure you did? Every single frog in the hobby came from nature at one time.. It is impossible to trace that back and to justify that 'legal' (almost always laundred) exported animals are more ethical to keep than those who are not.

There is just so much more to all this..