Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 01:25 PM

Default Ethics of keeping legally questionable frogs

Woke up this morning with a desire to poke the bear ;-) The Legal Blue Galacs? thread (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ad...e-galacts.html) made me want to explore this topic a little further. I think that thread has some really great work in it and I appreciate all of the thought and research that has gone into it. As an aside, I still think that Blue Galacs are illegal, in spite of what a lot of folks have written in that thread. Your efforts have at least shown me that the legality aspect is more complicated than I thought. For sure, the laws are pretty difficult to interpret based on how they were written (even if you believe, as I do, that the intent is clear).

However, there is little doubt in my mind that Blue Galacs (and so many before them) arrived here through smuggling. What I think I know based on the other thread is that Blue Galacs were described in 2012 and were smuggled not long after. We can be sure that they were smuggled because Brazil doesn't allow their animals out of the country. Is any of that in dispute?

What I want to know is, based on these presumptive facts (again, let me know if I am wrong), how do people justify owning these frogs? I know that there are always some bad actors that just don't care. Do you think that most or all people aware of the situation that buy these frogs are in the category of "don't care" and there is nothing else to discuss here? I think there are also people that believe they have a right to own these frogs. How does this thought process go? Do they think that because the law is written in a way that can be exploited that this makes it ok to own the frogs? How does a person ignore the damage to conservation efforts that is caused by smuggling (and supporting said smuggling by buying the frogs)?

You know where my bias is here, but help me understand the thought process that allows people to continue to purchase frogs that have, at best, questionable origins.

Really, I just wanted to pitch one slow, high, and down the middle of the plate for Socratic Monologue

Mark