Dendroboard - View Single Post - Plywood Vivariums??
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Plywood Vivariums??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibpigeonmaster View Post
Hey there all, I was wondering if anyone here has experimented with plywood vivariums? I know it's quite possible as I have built plywood aquariums in the past, (of course one side being glass) using an epoxy resin product called pond shield. But I was wondering if anyone had experience using any other products to seal plywood so that it can drain water well without needing to hold standing water? Just a late night thought I had. I know the simple answer is just use pond shield to build the viv but that particular product is rather expensive and I was looking to find if anyone knows of a less expensive alternative epoxy resin paint that can be used this way?

Thanks all
Ibp
For wooden boat building West System Epoxy is commonly used but it is even more expensive. I used to hang out on wooden boat forums and folks there used to make noises about using garage floor epoxy for a boat but it was always just talk, no one wanted to potentially destroy a boat to test something that might give out in a few years. On facebook I have seen people build plywood vivariums using what they simply called "epoxy". It was black and when I asked if it was pond shield they got distracted and never answered. Sorry that's all I got for you. I am planning my own 120 gallon plywood vivarium and for that I am planning a sloped false bottom and will be using pond shield.