Dendroboard - View Single Post - Leucamalas Morph?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Leucamalas Morph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapuzzo View Post
... "We want to keep the lines pure because maybe one day we may want to reintroduce them into the wild". Many of these frogs literally have a description when you go to buy them along the lines of this.

I believe that from an ecological perspective, all captive frogs within the hobby are "dead" so to speak. I can't think of any program that would actually try to re-introduce these into the wild from hobbyist collections.

There are conservation efforts in their home countries such as Tesoros and CRARC with different models for protecting various species in situ through habitat preservation and population monitoring/management, sometimes with a commercial arm that sells domestically bred frogs to hobbyists to raise money and/or discourage poaching and smuggling, but I don't think anyone realistically thinks the dart frog hobby is any kind of an 'ark' -- untraceable genetics, uncontrolled breeding, no way to trace novel pathogens, etc.