Dendroboard - View Single Post - Leucamalas Morph?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Leucamalas Morph?

Understand my next statement is coming from a guy that will keep a line pure but just want to make a point which is an opinion on something I hear brought up all the time. "We want to keep the lines pure because maybe one day we may want to reintroduce them into the wild". Many of these frogs literally have a description when you go to buy them along the lines of this.

Leucamelas XYZ is was a small population found at the base of a mountain near a large quartz rock in 1982. That seems pretty specific to me in an animal that covers a large range.

I think Dart frogs have such variation because they did cross over to some extent. By keeping the lines so pure how do we know we didn't damage the animals to some level? Hell they don't even contain poison if raised in captivity. How do we know we aren't line breeding frogs that won't manage this poison as well? Can survive the effects of eating the toxic insects they are raised on in the wild? If generation after generation of not being exposed to this stuff it will cause an issue.