Dendroboard - View Single Post - Legal blue galacts?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Legal blue galacts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drthsideous View Post
Why would someone want these for research?
Academic biology study, probably? Taxonomy, physiology...

Academic institutions registered with CITES are probably not engaged in much of the 'wide interpretation of science' sort of stuff.

Also, if you call up all the trade in the galacs (here) you can see that some countries (ahem, Germany, Belgium...) exported them before they imported them. That's where the captive US trade got started.

As to the blue morph, which was first discovered in 2012 and hit the hobby in the same year (source), there were no listed live exports from Brazil from 2006 until 2014, when 22 WC went from Brazil to Australia. Australia has no exports listed after that date.

My point with the last two paragraphs is that smuggling explains the existence of both the earliest galacs, and the more recent blue morph, fully and with documentation. Any alternative explanation might well be expected to be equally full, and with documentation.

- Whitman

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 06-28-2020 at 04:40 PM.