Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 07:59 PM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkubaSTI View Post
Looking great. Forgot if you mentioned it, but have you narrowed down which frogs you may go with?
I am going with tincs, beyond that not sure as of yet. Part of the ultimate decision will be what The Wife likes ;P Right now its looking like either Azureus or Powder Blues. If I can find some fine spotted Azureus that would certainly be my preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdavisa View Post
I'm not sure a carpet of hairgrass is comparable to a tropical grassland, which would have large plants & clumping-type grasses that create protected pockets beneath them... Plus the ecosystem's entire history of growth, death, & decomp built up on the surface which is basically what leaf litter is meant to replicate.

Thriving hairgrass grows pretty dense- I'm not sure that frogs would be able to hide in it more so than trample & sit on top of it. It would keep the frogs off the substrate & create an interesting hunting zone for sure, but it just doesn't have all the benefits of leaf litter.

I'd recommend adding a section of leaf litter to the front as well for the sake of your frogs and clean-up crew. Plus, it'd prevent your hairgrass from eventually growing into your dragon's tongue.
I may definitely add more leaf litter and rip out some/all the hair grass depending on how the frogs take to it. I haven't really seen anyone with a hair grass carpet in their tanks either on this forum, other forums, or on the social media websites. I am reluctant to reject the idea wholly when no one has really tried it before. I have seen some old threads of folks trying to grow hair grass and just failing (probably a light level issue). You are right of course that hair grass is vastly different from tall grasses, I was just pointing out that grass is something frogs would have encountered. Plus this particular species of grass does grow as far south as Ecuador according to wikipedia, so you know.. its actually possible frogs would have encountered this exact grass in the wild. /shrug

Leaf litter works in tanks that is a given. I want to know what else works in tanks and there is only one way to find out.