Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 06:23 PM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
The tank looks great but... I would recommend A LOT more leaf litter.

It's going to be far more important to your future frogs' success and health than ground moss, or virtually anything else you could put in the tank.
Its not moss but hair grass. From what I have found people use leaf litter because it creates hunting zones for the frogs, they can hide in it, they can use the leaves to stay cool, and it keeps the substrate from sticking to their skin. The grass accomplishes most of this as well.

The grass is "dwarf" but that only goes so far, it will actually grow at least 3 or 4 inches tall. I will "mow" the grass using scissors and the cuttings will be left in the vivarium which becomes food for springtails and isopods which the frogs can hunt. I don't know if the frogs will feel like the grass is 'hiding' them or not, certainly it can obscure them from their eye level but they will definitely be visible from above. It also will keep substrate off of them but it won't do anything to make them stay cool. That said, I have a lot of plants that create shady spots so I don't think that will be much of an issue.

Doing research online I keep seeing mentions that while some frogs are found in forested environments others are found in grasslands. I haven't found good pictures of this in the wild but it at least indicates that this is not an alien environment for them.

Plus its hard to see in the pictures because a lot of the plants are in the middle of the tank and block access to the back, but at least half of the tank's floor space is covered in several layers of leaf litter. It's only the front left section that is to be planted in grass.

Edit for some of the research I found:

Blog of someone finding tri-color dart frogs in pasture wetland.

Small article noting that frogs were tracked depositing tadpoles - 2 were noted to go into flooded pasture.

Anyway I am not totally oblivious to the needs of animals. If after things grow in and I actually put frogs in the tank I observe they appear to avoid the hair grass I can always rip it out and replace it with more leaf litter. Ripping it out and adding leaf litter is a few minutes work, but it will be a month or more before hair grass carpets can grow in. Thus if I am ever going to try it, it has to be now.

Last edited by minorhero; 05-22-2020 at 07:15 PM.