Dendroboard - View Single Post - My First Vivarium Journal
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2020, 05:02 PM
minorhero's Avatar
minorhero minorhero is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Maryland
Posts: 116
Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Update!:

Planting done??? Maybe!

When I left off most of my plants were in but I was still missing leaf litter and y dwarf hair grass carpet. For the leaf litter I decided to go with 100% Genuine Backyard Leaves. These leaves are all free range and collected with highest sustainability practices possible. ;P

Anyway my 3 year old loved going around and stuffing leaves into a plastic bag. After we collected enough (way more then I need truly) I boiled the leaves for 20 minutes to get rid of any hitchhikers. I strained the leaves and dried them somewhat on a storage container lid I had laying around. After that I added them to the back right as well as under the mopani wood, near the back wall and part of the front right as well. The front left section is all open which is where the dwarf hair grass carpet comes in.

I have grown dwarf hair grass for aquariums before several times and it is largely an undemanding plant once established. Previously I have always used grown plants (either tissue culture or potted) but here I wanted to try something a little different. I had 1 cup of tissue culture eleocharis acicularis which I would separate and plant, but I also had a bunch of eleocharis acicularis seeds that I have been cold stratifying in a cup of water in my fridge for the past several weeks. Once a day (or every few days when I forgot....) I would change the water in the cup. These I dried out and then sprinkled over the surface. This is what it looks like:



I also added some more moss to branches in the tank either by squeezing them into nooks, or by tying them with cotton thread to the branches. Hopefully they root, at which point they will look way awesome. I may also decide to do slurry mix of moss as well as I think the effect of those is pretty great looking when they work. Here is how it looked:




And finally I added some Tillandsia to the background and some branches. Several twigs/plants of Ficus Pumila Quercifolia to the base of the background and on the background itself. And a pot of Peperomia Rotundifolia got split up and hung from some moss on the branchy driftwood plus some marcgravia suriname got the same treatment.

And then I added the first inhabitants... BUGS. Not a big deal for anyone on this board but for me it was something new. In aquariums we actively try to keep bugs out of our tanks. I ordered from Michael Shrom from whom I got springtails, dwarf white isopods and nosy peach isopods, plus some advice. He only charged for the bugs. Very pleased with the order which was very generous. I got a picture of this fellow before he disappeared into the substrate:



And here is where I am at now:





The rest of my light parts are finally coming today according to usps tracker so here is hoping that the next post really is about making a light.

Last edited by minorhero; 05-22-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.