No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkubaSTI View Post
Yea with the current situation who knows how long anything from China would take to ship. Canopy looks easy enough to make with a nail gun and miter saw at least. How hard is it to build a plywood one? Do you have any good resources on a diy I could look over? I’m fairly handy, but sometimes my ocd gets the best of me and I’ll over think and complicate things. Sorry didn’t mean to hijack your journal.
No worries! This is what journals are for in my opinion. Places for me to learn by going over what I did and for others to learn by seeing what I did and either copying it or doing it better 😜

You are basically just building a plywood aquarium with extra viewing windows. Normally these things are built to hold hundreds of pounds of water, obviously a vivarium only needs a few inches at most so it won't need to be as strong (thus you can use much thinner glass and more of it). There are a few people out there offering pre-made tempered glass table-tops at very reasonable prices which could be used as windows or as the glass top. For that matter you don't need the entire top to be glass, just a section big enough to let your light shine through. A tempered glass 'shelf' will work great for this purpose. Similarly the doors could be a pre-made tabletops or even just regular annealed glass since they are commonly 1/8th" glass to begin with. Hardware stores commonly have this size in and many will cut the glass to your specifications for free. I would only use that size for the doors though just to be safe. Any viewing windows should be at least 1/4" thick if annealed or 3/16" if tempered since you will not want to replace those if they break.

Anyway I have been thinking for a few weeks about how I would go about building a 4 foot long vivarium.. That build may be in my future at some point. Before I get there though I want to live with my current vivarium and see how I like actual frog keeping. If I like it enough I may go on to build what will essentially be a 120 gallon vivarium in the middle of my family room/entry way. I was planning for an aquarium to go in that spot but I think a vivarium might be significantly less maintenance.

Here is a video/series on making a plywood aquarium from the king of diy fishkeeping:

Yea I’m in a similar situation. I really want a centerpiece for my living room. Was goin g to go back to reefs or a high tech planted ada tank (I was recently obsessed with high end aqua scaping, but knew that rabbit hole would get super expensive to go down) so for years I been telling my wife when we get a house I’m going back to frogs, so now I think that’s the route I want to go. I figure a couple small setups until I get back into the swing of things, haven’t had darts for like 15 years.