No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkubaSTI View Post
That’s a pretty valid point. I figure the fan would help keep the glass clear, it perhaps their ventilation is good enough without it. I’ve built
LEDs for reef tanks before, but for this build I think I want a clean
Manufactured fixture. But I do
Like your compulsory canopy to hide everything as well. Is there any fixtures you’d reccomend for this if I didn’t want to diy? I do like the idea of controlling the light to give you the sunrise and sunset look. But isn’t mandatory. But would
Like a night lighting option too
I knew no matter what I did I would have misting lines running around on the top of the tank so with that in mind I figured I would have to have a canopy if I wanted it to look clean. with a black plastic lid its not like we can achieve a rimless look anyway.

Anyway if you only need around 50 - 80 ppfd at substrate for most parts of the tank (medium light to lower end of 'high' for house plants) then I would go with the larger version of what I have on my tank right now. Chihiros WRGB 2 (45cm model). They are not available in the States so you will need to order from China. Mine is the 30cm model, was guaranteed to arrive in 12 days but took almost a month so /shrug.

For reference the the Insitu Facebook group has a photo show their par values of their light saying theirs produces 50 ppfd at substrate.

To be completely honest though... if I had it all to do over again I would be VERY tempted to build my own tank. The fit and finish on the Insitu is just..ok... really nothing to be impressed about at all. With 50 dollars in shipping the Plus model cost almost 300 dollars. I think I could realistically build a plywood tank with glass top, glass side window and glass sliding doors that will look nicer then their tank for about half the cost.
Yea with the current situation who knows how long anything from China would take to ship. Canopy looks easy enough to make with a nail gun and miter saw at least. How hard is it to build a plywood one? Do you have any good resources on a diy I could look over? I’m fairly handy, but sometimes my ocd gets the best of me and I’ll over think and complicate things. Sorry didn’t mean to hijack your journal.