Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 12:58 PM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar732 View Post
Tank is looking great! I like the mondo grass, I was just checking it out online the other day.

Question on the moss, does it need to go dormant? I have a ton of moss in my yard, I use it for my landscaping, but I was under the impression that it wouldn’t survive in a vivarium?
Thank you!

Moss does not need a dormancy period. Moss pictures or mosaics are becoming popular and they are just moss stuffed into a frame, no need to put them outside for winter etc. I have seen a lot of folks drawing a distinction between temperate plants and tropical but I think the reality is more nuanced. At least some species of hair grass for instance require cold stratification for seeds to germinate but will happily reproduce via runners forever in terrarium. They are definitely temperate but for our purposes it doesn't matter.

Anyway there are a LOT of moss species out there and most are difficult to identify if you are not trained in such. Like other plants different mosses have different requirements. I collected moss from the shadiest and wettest locations I could find. Will they take? No idea, but I should know in the next month. I have at least 4 different species in here so far and they are planted on different surfaces. If some don't make it while others do I will have a better understanding of what they need. Plus they were all free so you know, easy to replace.