Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 03:06 PM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
You are probably right. If there is one thing I have learned after building lots of dart frog tanks, it's that you don't really know how well you will like it after it grows in. Just last weekend I had to re-do a tank that I was sure I would like when I first planted it. However, when it grew in for a year or so, I ended up unhappy with it and starting again. I learn a little more each time that happens so I get a little better at it, but the possibility continues that I am not happy and I have to replant or adjust the hardscape. I use the cracked cork mosaic process for just about all of my tanks and it is similar to what you are doing. I would suggest some shinglers like Rhaphidophora or Marcgravia to cover the back. Oak-leaved ficus is another option, though it will take over eventually if you let it :-) Anyway, you have done a good job so far. Keep up the good work!

Mark
Thank you! I have oak leaved ficus and some marcgravia cuttings I am trying to root. I also have some unidentified species of Solanum sold to me by black jungle (they didn't know what it was either apparently). One small pot of Peperomia rotundifolia var. pilosior. Plus Asian Jasmine I bought at lowes. So between all of those I'm hoping to have a lot of vining plants. I also have a lot of low lying plants as well, which will hopefully not take up space the froggies could be using. Frankly I have more plants then I think I will use but that is on purpose. When scaping aquariums I found it was better to have too much and not need it then have not enough and wish you had just a few more plants to balance something out.