Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 01:38 AM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Update!:

My Insitu arrived and overall pretty happy. It was packed quite well and had zero damage. The first thing I noticed when I opened the box was an apology letter by the Insitu team. It seems their supply chain broke down and they could not get me tempered glass doors. They instead sent me annealed glass doors with a promise to send me the correct doors in the future. I contacted them by email and already got a response, they were very sorry and plan to can send me the correct part in 2 weeks. This mattered only because the doors they did send did not have the silicone seam along one end to keep fruit flies in.

Still in 2 weeks I won't even be close to adding fruit flies so I doubt it will ultimately make much difference. And I am glad they sent me the vivarium now rather then put the whole thing on hold for 2 weeks.

After reading in another thread I posted about problems of growing moss on a titebond 3 background I decided to increase the amount of cork bark in this background (the moss will grow on the cork but not the titebond apparently). I didn't have enough of the cork I already had so I bought 2 small pieces of zoo med cork from amazon. It came in today as well and I was able to put the background together.

This one is made from 50% tree fern fiber, 40% sphagnum peat moss, and 10% orchid bark (for texture). I definitely used about 16 oz of titebond 3 as well.

Here is the tank on its back with the bark just laid out to see how it looked:

Here it is after I removed the bark, added the background material, and then re-added the bark:

And here it is after I added more background material to obscure some of the clean cut edges:

This background is not frankly as nice looking by itself as the previous background I made since the cork is just everywhere. But I think it will look a lot better once planted. There are a lot of nooks between the bark where I can shove plants and the bark itself will be able to support moss.

In the last picture you can see the fan I have on it. Hopefully I can get this thing dried out in the next day or so and at that point turn it vertical to begin playing with hardscape.