Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 03:20 PM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

My Insitu Vivarium is coming sometime today. While waiting I decided to do a little project for the tank.

I bought some monkey pods a little while ago with plans of using them as egg depositories instead of petri dishes. I know the petri dishes are standard in the hobby but I just don't like the aesthetic of the coconut hut - petri dish combo. Since monkey pods are not necessarily waterproof I decided to coat them in something that is. Since black film canisters seem to be popular with smaller species I decided to go black for my coating. I've heard of folks using silicone for this but I didn't want to buy and waste most of a tube of silicone. Instead I went with 2 part epoxy and powdered tint. I've used this for woodworking before and it works very well and when dry, is just plastic so safety shouldn't be an issue.

Here is everything you need:

I am using loctite 5 minute epoxy but I have also used quickcure and I suspect any clear 2 part epoxy would work fine.

I added each part to a small disposable cup and then added a little of the powdered tint:

I mixed it up with a small scrap piece of wood (could use anything for this but it should be something disposable). Then dished it into the monkey pod:

At this point it doesn't look very black but that is normal. Once heat is applied it becomes substantially darker and also much less viscus (like the thickness of maple syrup once heat is used).

I basically just heated it up with the heat gun keeping it vertical in my hand. Once it was freely moving as a liquid I rolled it back and forth in the pod till it coated everything. The first one was the sloppiest, the 2nd better and I think I got a pretty good one by the time I got the third and biggest pod.

Once completely dry they won't be quite as shiny but you get the idea. Hopefully the froggies will appreciate them as well ;P