Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 12:02 AM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Update:

I received in my frog cube and my glass cutter so I was able to go ahead and (for all intents and purposes) finish the vivarium. I am pretty pleased with how it went together.

First a word about cutting glass... I went to two Lowes looking for my glass to be cut to a specific size needed for this build. At the first Lowes they told me the glass cutter was out of service. (This as it turns out is just a lie). At the second Lowes they told me they are not offering glass cutting during the Pandemic... well shucks.

Instead I bought the only glass cutting tool they had, a kobalt glass cutter. Now understand I hate the Kobalt brand. Every Kobalt tool I have seen has been awful compared to literally anything else I can find, but I figured the glass cutter had to at least cut glass, and I didn't need it for more then a handful of cuts...

I should have gone with my gut... Here is a picture of two glass cutters. The Kobalt is on the left. The one on the right is a Toyo glass cutter purchased from amazon.

The Toyo cutter was purchased because the Kobalt cutter did not work AT ALL. I have never cut glass before, so when I ruined an entire 24"x36" piece of glass one small cut at a time, I assumed I was just horrible at cutting glass. I mean I worked at it for over 2 hours making dozens of cuts trying to get 2 relatively small pieces of intact glass out of the sheet. No luck.

Then I got the Toyo cutter and a new sheet of glass. Night and day difference. The Toyo cutter actually cut the glass.. So yea.. don't buy Kobalt.

With the glass cut I was able to assemble the frog cube. Some of the pieces required some filing/sanding because they were a little too tight. Other then that the whole thing went together very easily. After dry fitting everything I took it all apart and applied silicone. Here is the tank now:

Overall very happy with how it came out. I have no immediate plans for this tank but its nice to have and maybe some day I can put it to work ;P

Now I just need to wait for my Insitu to arrive. It is scheduled for Tuesday. After it comes I will immediately put together the background. Really looking forward to that.