Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 10:51 AM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
Best wife ever! It's never a bad idea to have an extra ready to use vivarium. Gives you a fallback in case of an issue with the main tank, or for babies.
Absolutely, she is pretty awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post

What do you like about the safe-t-sorb? That’s a clay, right? I appreciate you documenting this all.

Using tables and stands can get tricky, I’ve spent way too many hours on Craigslist and online shopping for nightstands that are the perfect dimensions but still fit in with the room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Safe-T-Sorb is the same stuff as turface or oildri it is just a different color. You can buy it at tractor supply stores for about 15 dollars for a 25 lb bag and since it's pretty light stuff, that's a BIG bag.

As to why I like it? It is a hardened calcined clay and that means it has a high Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC). In the aquarium side of things it is not uncommonly used as a substrate choice because the CEC capacity means it has buffering properties. It can absorb nutrients being released from fertilizers or other substrates and store them until plants use them. I love the stuff because I also think it looks just like a bunch of little pebbles but it is light enough to stay on the surface in most aquarium substrate mixes and here at least I hoped it wouldn't pull off of the background. In this application it has no practical purpose beyond aesthetics.