Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 12:33 AM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
And like that... I realized I've made a huge mistake....

You see I've been trying to figure out the frog selection for a while and mostly coming up short. I basically really wanted tincs. While some folks do indeed put tincs in a 10 gallon horizontal and I have slightly more space then that... it seems to generally be frowned upon. All of my reading indicates they will not climb much and prefer to spend their time on the ground. So the vertical space is less important to them.

I thus moved onto consider the Ranitomeya and recently thought I settled on imitator varadero. They have a quiet call, are bold, and I liked the look. But I was settling, I really wanted tincs. Then The Wife saw the frog I was considering. Her response was something to the effect of "what happened to the frogs we looked at before?"

I explained that the vivarium I was building was not going to be suited for them, something I frankly didn't know when I bought the tank.

Her response to this was essentially, "well what would we need to get the frogs we actually want?"

Well... folks... let me tell you that this was both disappointing (since my current vivarium I have been working on is now defunct) and uplifting (because.. I really wanted tincs).

This brings us to The Wife giving the ok for an Insitu Vivarium. Which I have now ordered.

Here is a picture of one from their website:

Soooooo yea this is going to pause for a bit while I wait for my vivarium to arrive. Then I can pick this all back up when it comes... well kind of..

Because you see.. I already have made a lot of progress on my current vivarium, and I already own all the supplies needed to make this one a reality (even if some of it is still in shipping). Essentially what The Wife doesn't realize yet, is that we did not replace the current vivarium, so much as just gain 2 vivariums.... The Insitu vivarium will be for tincs while my current vivarium build will be a plant growout location / baby frog rearing site.... or at least that is how I see it The reality will likely not be as simple. My stand is not big enough for both tanks at the same time and my stand will have the mistking installed in it. So I would need to be pretty creative to find a place for a 2nd vivarium nearby.

Oh well, I will still go ahead and finish this build with the parts coming in, you never know when a second tank could be needed.
Best wife ever! It's never a bad idea to have an extra ready to use vivarium. Gives you a fallback in case of an issue with the main tank, or for babies.