Dendroboard - View Single Post - My First Vivarium Journal
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2020, 11:02 AM
minorhero's Avatar
minorhero minorhero is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Maryland
Posts: 125
Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organics View Post
Loving the look of the background, mind explaining the process a bit more in depth(glue/ratios)?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So here is what I did. I took my tree fern fiber and dumped it in a 5 gallon bucket (highly recommend a 5 gallon bucket or something with similarly high sides.. seriously important).

Then added water till it was damp but not dripping.

Then I didn't like the look of just the tree fern fiber I was using so I added some already wet sphagnum peat moss and safe-t-sorb I already had mixed (probably about 40% of the final mixture is peat moss and safe-t-sorb).

Then I dumped in the glue. For the amount you see on the background I used about half of a 16 OZ glue bottle.

Wearing disposable gloves I mixed all of this together for a few minutes. Then I pulled out handfuls and deposited it on the glass. I did this till I had complete coverage at a pretty even depth.

Then I added my cork bark pieces pressing it into the background pinching, pulling, redistributing the background mix over, around, and to the sides of the cork bark.

Then I compacted and fluffed up the background mix in various spots to make the background bumpy (doesn't come across well in the picture, but it's there).

Then I dribbled some Safe-T-Sorb onto the background I pressed this lightly into the background mix as well. No idea if this will work, I haven't seen anyone else use this stuff but I think it looks good so I am willing to try.

Then I found something to act as a cover for the tank so my wife's cats don't jump into the tank and take a big steaming poop on my background ;P literally....

And that is it. A video I saw said that the whole process will feel like its not going to work right up to the point when it finally dries. That's how I feel now. Titebond is not a particularly sticky glue when wet... The background mix is only slightly more sticky then it would be if it was just water being used.

Here are 2 videos I saw of the process. Mine is much closer to the second video, the drier of the two.


Reply With Quote
 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.