Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-05-2020, 11:02 AM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organics View Post
Loving the look of the background, mind explaining the process a bit more in depth(glue/ratios)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So here is what I did. I took my tree fern fiber and dumped it in a 5 gallon bucket (highly recommend a 5 gallon bucket or something with similarly high sides.. seriously important).

Then added water till it was damp but not dripping.

Then I didn't like the look of just the tree fern fiber I was using so I added some already wet sphagnum peat moss and safe-t-sorb I already had mixed (probably about 40% of the final mixture is peat moss and safe-t-sorb).

Then I dumped in the glue. For the amount you see on the background I used about half of a 16 OZ glue bottle.

Wearing disposable gloves I mixed all of this together for a few minutes. Then I pulled out handfuls and deposited it on the glass. I did this till I had complete coverage at a pretty even depth.

Then I added my cork bark pieces pressing it into the background pinching, pulling, redistributing the background mix over, around, and to the sides of the cork bark.

Then I compacted and fluffed up the background mix in various spots to make the background bumpy (doesn't come across well in the picture, but it's there).

Then I dribbled some Safe-T-Sorb onto the background I pressed this lightly into the background mix as well. No idea if this will work, I haven't seen anyone else use this stuff but I think it looks good so I am willing to try.

Then I found something to act as a cover for the tank so my wife's cats don't jump into the tank and take a big steaming poop on my background ;P literally....

And that is it. A video I saw said that the whole process will feel like its not going to work right up to the point when it finally dries. That's how I feel now. Titebond is not a particularly sticky glue when wet... The background mix is only slightly more sticky then it would be if it was just water being used.

Here are 2 videos I saw of the process. Mine is much closer to the second video, the drier of the two.