Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 01:06 AM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Quick Update:

My orchid bark and tree fern are coming in tomorrow. I already have long fiber sphagnum moss as well as milled sphagnum moss and peat moss. So I have everything I need to make my substrate after tomorrow.. except the charcoal. Well I have cowboy natural charcoal from Lowes. But it is not the right size...

After reading some threads it seems the accepted method of correcting this issue is to put the charcoal in a pillow case and either beat it with a hammer or run over it with your car.

Between those 2, hitting it with a car sounds way cooler.

I decided to put my own spin on it though and not use a pillow case. I frankly didn't want to ruin one. So I used a heavy duty contractor trash bag. This worked really well! Afterwards I had trashbag of coal chunks and a LOT of dust. I decided to fill the bag with water from my hose to wash the coal.

Do not do this.... seriously... its a mess.....

Anyway after I cleaned up the mess a bit I had a good sized bucket of coal chunks.

If all goes well then at some point tomorrow I will be making one side of my background.