Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-02-2020, 11:27 PM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Update:

I received in the rest of my diamond drill bits. I wasted no time in putting in a few more holes. Here is a 1/2 inch bulkhead drilled for a drain in the back of the vivarium (formally the bottom of the aquarium).

It doesn't look it in the picture due to the angle but the bottom of the hole is 1-5/8 inch from the bottom glass. I am also going to install a strainer so my false bottom doesn't leak out of the hole. I will put down at least 2" of false bottom (probably a little deeper in the back) but this way all the water will drain out before it can soak my substrate.

I also drilled a 5/8" hole for my mistking nozzle. Here is how that setup looked prior to drilling:

And the tank with all holes drilled:

And here is the vivarium on the stand in the corner it will rest once all is said and done:

In other news I was out hiking with my wife and kids today and my daughter kept wanting me to catch frogs (I think they were Northern or Southern Leopard Frogs). After I caught a few my daughter started making a lot of noises about how she wants to keep them. The Wife, to my complete shock, was all for it. The Wife was then disappointed when I had to nix all such plans since we do not even have a single vivarium up and running let alone one setup for a temperate froggy like what we were catching. Once I explained a bit more in depth about what the vivarium setup process is like she seemed only somewhat mollified. Instead she is already making big plans for a vivarium for temperate frogs.... I'm at a total loss... The Wife won't let me add any more aquariums for fish (I have one 5 gallon, one 7.5 gallon, one 5 gallon breeding box, and one 40 gallon, the last two are in an unfinished part of the basement), but she is practically insisting on having more frog vivariums.. It will be interesting to see if this level of interest on her part stays after the current vivarium is setup, running, and occupied.