Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-02-2020, 12:51 AM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPfarr View Post
Nice work on the ventilation hole. Thatís what I would prefer if I would go the vert route.
Thank you, I think it will work. After looking at pictures of custom vivs I think the amount of ventilation in this tank will be pretty similar to euro designed vivs of a similar footprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartboard View Post
looks cool, Ill be following along
Thank you! I'm enjoying the process.

Small update:

I am continuing to get parts delivered to me. I recently received a shipment of cork bark I plan to use for a titebond 3 background just to break up the lines a bit. My plan right now is to add some calcined clay pieces (Safe-T-Sorb - similar to Turface) to the surface of the titebond 3 background along with the cork bark just so its not too uniform. I don't know if the safe-t-sorb will stick but I figure worst thing that happens the safe-t-sorb falls out.

I am also continuing to research what I am going to put in this darn thing :P

I was thinking thumbnails because of the footprint but my research is turning up threads (many from this board) of people keeping a pair of tincs in a 10 gallon horizontal. The footprint of this tank once the substrate is banked will be slightly larger then a 10 gallon horizontal which makes me wonder if I can responsibly keep tincs in this vivarium.

One thing to consider is that I can not under any circumstances have a frog with a loud call in this tank. My children's bedrooms are above this tank as well as my own and frankly if my kids get woken up by the frogs... well its not going to go over well with The Wife.

In other news I bought and received a bluetooth thermometer and hydrometer with pretty solid reviews from amazon for just 19 dollars. It's called Govee. It's pretty spiffy and will even track temperature and humidity over time so I can see how the temperature changes over the day. I also turned the heat up in the basement slightly and got the ambient air temperature to 69 degrees. If the lights boost me 1 or 2 degrees that puts me in a much happier froggy place.