Originally Posted by fishingguy12345
Fibreglass or plastic Window screen works for a barrier, and yes you will want a barrier.
The first of the various things I ordered came in tonight, specifically a 3 inch diamond hole saw. I began by making sure none of the panels on my tank were tempered via the sunglass method, and they are not so yea, I can proceed. While I have seen a lot of videos on it, this is my first time actually drilling glass.
From those videos (as well as experience doing some woodworking) I know the secret to stopping chipout when drilling a hole is to fully support the backside of the hole. This means I needed a board clamped to the inside of the tank. Because the location was pretty deep in the tank itself I had to get a bit creative.... with my clamping solution. Here is what my drill setup looked like. The bit is in the picture just for reference.
Basically once you have decided on a location for the hole you need to have a way to keep the bit wet while it is in use. I decided to go with plumbers putty and building a little dam around the hole. I filled it with water and set to it. Other options include letting a hose constantly trickle water. I had frankly planned to use the hose and a guide but as it turns out I don't have a 3" wood hole saw and I was unwilling to use the diamond hole saw to cut wood when I was also planning to need the darn thing just once for cutting this glass. So I freehanded the hole and used the plumbers putty.
It took about 5 minutes to cut the hole but it came out pretty nice. There is only a very very tiny amount of chipout along one side where I suspect I pressed too hard after I drilled through.
This hole is purely for ventilation so I will be using a 2 inch bulkhead and covering it with some kind of fruit fly proof screen. I may also use this hole for temperature and humidity probes if I find something I like. Most of the other things I ordered from amazon are coming next week. I am less sure about my substrate supplies. I ordered tree fern and orchid bark from a rare orchid website, plus cork bark from another plant website. Once all of those come in I will be able to start considering the backgrounds.