Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-28-2020, 11:07 PM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
Dendrobates leucomelas will like the vertical height of that tank too and they're great for beginners.

For drainage layer: I usually have mine be about 1-2", but the main thing is to make sure it's higher than your drain/bulkhead hole, that way the water line is below the substrate, preventing soggy rotting substrate...

At 68F the temperature is a little on the low side but not terrible cold. Lights will add a decree or two to the temperatures. Others can chime in on temperatures.

I think I answered most of your questions. If there were over I missed, sorry. I have a hard time finding questions in paragraphs lol.
Thank you for your response! I'm impressed you even read my crazy long post .

I considered Leucomelas but honestly I am just not wild about them. I will get the wife's opinion (part of my secret plan to have her happy with the vivarium is consulting her on the froggies and some of the plants) but as it stands these fellows live way way too long for me not to be super happy with the look of the frog upfront.

2" is what I was thinking of for a drainage layer as well. I hear plastic window screen is the stuff to use between the drainage layer and the substrate? One video I saw was of someone who said it didn't need a barrier at all... unless its better without I am planning to use a barrier though.

Has anyone come up with a good method of heating a tank? I read one post where they were concerned the glass would crack if you put a heater under the tank and suggested one on the side instead.