Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 04:23 PM

Default Re: New dart frog vivarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusgieg View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll try to focus my research on them and modify the tank more to their needs, do y’all know any reliable company’s/breeders online that I can order captive bred from?
Had a look at the tank and two things quickly caught my attention.

First: there is sphagnum mixed into the substrate layer. This has a tendency to become very wet and soggy and could rot quickly. Having your substrate too wet can and will cause problems in the long term for most dart frogs.

Second: there is no ventilation at the front and the access is only though the top. While this is not necessarily a problem, (my auratus vivarium for example also doesn't have front ventilation, but it does have front access which makes life much easier) it warrants extra caution regarding humidity. If this is too high your frogs will have problems thermoregulating because they can't evaporate moisture from their skin anymore. Together with my first point I see this tank potentially becoming too wet relatively quickly the way it is currently set up.

Frog-wise I'd say that this tank would be best for a pair or a trio of dart frogs. Groups would need more space.

I also never found my auratus to be shy. Sure they usually hop away when I open their enclosure (and not all of them do actually), but they are right back as soon as I close the door to check if I left food behind. I also see every single one of them at least once every day, with the more outgoing individuals pretty much out and about throughout daytime.