Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Ameerega pepperi 'Abiseo' breeding and care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijl View Post
I'm not sure this results in higher succes rate since you would be only offering them a one sided dieet from a single source.. I agree that 'fresh' food would be better, but we can never recreate or mimic their natural environment. That's exactly why supplements and other are super important in captivity. Hence the hikari products since they provide this.

Btw, the human diet is as artificial as our pets diet for many years now.. Vegetables, meat,.. everything is manipuled. Even the bio products..
How many species of algae do they consume in wild/how many species species even exist in the average stream. A quick look through a couple papers pointed towards a minority(<30%) of streams contain two or more species with as maximum of six species. Microfauna is often shown to be very diverse but its likely not the case with algae. Food being under selection pressure(domestication) for certain traits does not falsify my claim of whole foods being a better source of nutrients than processed food where nutrients are provided by adding in food like equivalents. Going through Hikari ingredients there are a lot of products(vitamins) added in the fashion i describe as a food like product but ends of not being all that consumable(generally not applicable to anything fat soluble). Even more concerning is that there is soybean meal and wheat flour, which i have a real hard time claiming they provide any benefit, I'm more inclined to say they are likely harmful based on other animal/human studies. In this specific case where the natural diet is probably limited(in terms of algae) i'd say that gives a bit more weight to my argument. That being said i would still likely supplement with algae wafers if i was feeding a fresh algae diet, also i accept you have for more experience in this hobby and specifically with this species. All that being said my point was to give an alternative perspective on food options and point out a pervasive and flawed thinking i see about diet(whether human or animal).

Last edited by Organics; 03-25-2020 at 11:21 PM.