Dendroboard - View Single Post - Whats the deal with this hobby?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Whats the deal with this hobby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkruse View Post
I bought 3 little frogs and a year later I had tadpoles. Had I not moved these guys into a different tank I would be inundated with tadpoles.
I think this is something- Once you start providing laying sites and pulling eggs, you go from 0 to 100 really quickly.

You get your first frogs, realize how awesome they are, and how many extra fruit flies you have on your hands. Also you learned a few things from your first viv and you want to try some other techniques (fancy plants). So you start adding to your collection. EZPZ. You now have all these vivs and frogs (and flies)... why not let them breed and make a few bucks on the side? (bucks is Americanese for money).

You throw down a few coco huts with petri dishes and some film canisters and before you know it you're devoting more space, time, energy, and money to eggs and tadpoles than the original frogs. And it's not as fun or visually appealing. And now you have to responsibly find people to buy all your offspring.

What was once a joy has become a burden and now you're burned out on frogs and leave the hobby. You keep your vivs going because they still look good and you suspect you will regain interest again. Now a year and a half later you're finally thinking about getting some frogs again. And even though you were responsible with exiting the hobby you swear to yourself you won't ever do that again just because of how annoying the whole process was and maybe this time let's just have some fun and enjoy the hobby, ok?!?!?