Dendroboard - View Single Post - Whats the deal with this hobby?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 01:52 PM
Mod

Default Re: Whats the deal with this hobby?

I hadn't really thought about it that way, Jeff. I think the only possible reason that all frogs aren't $10 apiece is that it requires effort to set up a reasonable habitat and maintain it for the long run AND that it requires even more effort to remove the tads, raise them, etc. I think the average hobbyist is just not capable or willing to put the time in to breed their frogs. The people that come to this board are the ones that are (usually) interested enough to do it right. We on this board, though, are not really indicative of the average frog owner. For every person posting here, there are probably 10 or more people that buy frogs on impulse and don't stick with the hobby. Their frogs probably either die or are moved along via Craigslist and are never heard from again. If the first frogs people bought were pumilio or some Ranitomeya, both of which can raise their own froglets, we would truly be awash in frogs. Fortunately, availability and cost put most of those types of frogs out of reach of the beginner. It's an interesting thing to think about, though. Out of all the frogs that I have sold in our area, I see very, very few people selling babies of the frogs that I sold them. This is probably for the best. Maybe the most charitable read on the situation is that people are just not interested in the breeding aspect of the hobby. I suspect the real situation is worse than that, though.

Mark