Dendroboard - View Single Post - Whats the deal with this hobby?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 11:04 PM

Default Whats the deal with this hobby?

I started keeping a vivarium and dart frogs about two years ago. I now have 5 vivarium going (and thatís it for a while). Iím about to have 11 green and black Costa Rican froglets.

Is this hobby growing? Do people get in and out of it after a year or two? Are most of the frogs dying from novice keepers?

The reason I ask these questions is because I canít understand the prices and availability of some of these frogs. Donít get me wrong, Iím not unhappy about the prices I just donít understand it.

I do understand the time and effort it takes to raise these little guys. What I canít understand is that why isnít the market flooded with some morphs?

For some morphs like in my case I bought 3 little frogs and a year later I had tadpoles. Had I not moved these guys into a different tank I would be inundated with tadpoles. If even just a small percentage of people raise their tadpoles into froglets there should be an abundance of frogs on the market.

It's likely Iíll try to trade my current froglets for a few mints but after that itís likely Iíll just raise any tadpoles and let them go for almost nothing. They are like guppies.

Or are just so few people staying in this hobby for several years that the demand still outweighs the supply? I would think a person who wants to turn a hobby into a business would only need a few years to get off the ground and be producing frogs by the thousands.

Itís just something that I was curious about.