Dendroboard - View Single Post - Pair Of 80 Gallon Plywood Builds
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2020, 03:09 AM
athiker04 athiker04 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 160
Thanks: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Pair Of 80 Gallon Plywood Builds

Continuing along-

I had some leftover matala from an old build. It wasn't enough to do the drainage for both tanks so I chopped it up and used it as support for some egg crate:

IMAG0365 by Josh Yates, on Flickr

I then places some fiberglass screen over the egg crate and attached that to the inside of the tank with a beed of silicone.

There's a lot of other little tedious steps that I'm leaving out here. Most are obvious but hardly worth mentioning. (silconing screen into the ventilation slots, drilling top glass for misting nozzles, setting up hoses for drainage from the bulkheads, etc)

Of course the big thing at this stage is getting the hardscape and background in place. I'm a long way from an artist when it comes to this stuff. It's definitely a big part of what separates most vivs from great and legendary vivs. I got a bulk box of cork flats and ghost wood on cyber Monday and took an embarrassing amount of time staring into the tanks holding sticks in different positions.

This image shows me experimenting with wood placement and also shows (in the form of a cardboard cutout) where I'm thinking of putting a partial backgroud/sideground? on the sides of the tanks facing one another.
IMAG0361 by Josh Yates, on Flickr

I finally committed to the major pieces:
IMAG0381 by Josh Yates, on Flickr

At this point I really abandoned any further photography. I great stuffed some other ghost wood pieces into place and great stuffed some cork slabs onto the background.

I then scuffed up all the slick great stuff surface before laying down a coat of Drylok. I used the grey Drylok and added charcoal cement tint to it. It's not bad but it turned out a very cool grey, not a more organic warm grey that I would have preferred. After a couple of coats had dried and I couldn't see anymore great stuff showing through, I added a final coat and pressed a combination of peat and tree fern fiber into the still wet Drylok.

Every time I turned the tank in a different orientation I would see more spots that I had missed so there were several touch up sessions to get everything covered but the end result isn't bad:
IMAG0385 by Josh Yates, on Flickr

Next was attaching the Mistking nozzles and setting up all the plumbing for that system. Also I covered my pair of fans in fiberglass screen and drilled a little slot to run the fan cords between the top frame and top glass. A couple of neodymium magnets keep them attached to the top and allow for adjustment. An inch or so of turface brings me to my present position on this project. Ready to plant.

Here it is pre vegetation:
IMAG0408 by Josh Yates, on Flickr

IMAG0405 by Josh Yates, on Flickr

IMAG0402 by Josh Yates, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.