Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Pair Of 80 Gallon Plywood Builds

I decided to go with Pond Shield Pond Armor Epoxy for sealing the inside of the tanks. There may be other epoxy that works just as well and is cheaper if you need a larger volume. The 1.5 quarts of Pond Armor worked out to be exactly what I needed for this project and I had used it before so that's what I went with.

Before applying, I followed the directions and sanded everything to be coated with 60 grit sand paper and then vacuumed and wiped down all the dust as best as I could.

Here is one of the tanks ready for epoxy:

IMAG0316 by Josh Yates, on Flickr

The first coat was thinned with denatured alcohol. The 2nd coat, I also thinned but not as much. I then did a 3rd touch up coat to any thin spots I saw.

This is where I really started slacking off on photos.

For aesthetics, I cut the veneer from strips of plywood and glued these to all the exposed edges of the plywood in the builds. This gives a bit of an illusion of solid wood, or at least doesn't bring plywood to mind as soon as someone sees them. I also built a pair of cabinet carcasses to the same footprint dimensions as the tanks. Then all the wood was finished with a coat of oak stain and several coats of polyurethane.

Tanks with epoxy coating on cabinets but before stain and polyurethane:
IMAG0343 by Josh Yates, on Flickr

Here I'm about to silicone the lower sliding glass track into place. The epoxy surface and underside of the plastic track was sanded to give more grip for the silicone.
IMAG0352 by Josh Yates, on Flickr

I then put the doors in the track and used them to properly align the side glass pieces. This took a while and was really tedious. I wanted to get the glass siliconed in as squarely as possible to the glass doors. My goal was to avoid using glass track vertically for the outdoor door edges to mate into. I just want a flush glass to glass edge on the front of the tanks.
IMAG0353 by Josh Yates, on Flickr

I'm pretty satisfied with the results. I may have to lay a thin bead of silicone in one edge out of the two tanks, just to make sure there are no fruit fly escapes. This photo shows the side glass in place. I've also siliconed egg crate to the back to give the great stuff background more surface area to hold onto.

IMAG0359 by Josh Yates, on Flickr