Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Large / X-Tall Exo Terra

Thanks Mark -- I've spent a lot of time in temperate forests, and researched dart frog habitat pretty exhaustively online.

While it's *possible* to come across swathes of moss on forest floor, that's more common (that I've seen) in relatively open temperate forests, and besides accuracy/aesthetics, in terms of what's *functional* for frog husbandry, I can't see myself doing it any other way. Leaf litter just works and I've never seen any species of frog *not* make use of it for refuge, hunting, micro-climates etc.

If my terribilis want to be dry, they can sit on the top layer or perch on elevated vines and branches. If they want cover or higher humidity, they go below.

My blackfoots have little caves under the leaf litter they retreat to whenever they want to rest, or from which to ambush prey.

Speaking of which, they execute 3 distinct strategies:
  1. Sit and wait.
  2. Ambush from cover.
  3. Chase -- (specifically for highly mobile prey like crickets)

I've also seen them leap straight up to grab prey from overhead branches. I nerd out hard for this species. So much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
Nice work, Fahad. This tank is a great example of how to do the moss thing correctly. You have the moss up on the wood and still leave plenty of leaf litter on the ground. This is a great example to follow for those that like the moss-covered look.

Mark