Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 02:23 AM

Default Re: 55Gal Sliding Door Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
This is great! Thank you. I think I understand.

How do you find the sliding door as opposed to a hinged door?
Also a good question.

Sliding Doors
Pro
- they work very well on long tanks.
- You can open a small % of the tank, so the risk of escape is lower when feeding, maintaining, etc
- In my opinion, easier to make
- In my opinion, easier to make them look good

Cons
- More difficult to clean
- If a frog is on a sliding door, sometimes you can't open it without risking injury to a very stubborn frog :-)
- Don't work quite as well on very tall tanks (assuming height to width ratio is high)

Hinge Doors
Pro
- They work well on tall tanks when using a hinge on the vertical axis
- Easy to clean

Cons
- You'll essentially have to open the entire front to work effectively (unless you have a double door, then 50% min), raising risk of escapees.
- In my opinion, harder to make (get your hinges aligned, select add your handles, and some type of mechanism to hold the door in place)
- Don't work as well with long tanks as the hinge must be on the horizontal axis (or you have strong hinges/adhesive and don't mind the door sagging when open due to the high torque from gravity). A horizontal hinge means losing your grip on the door could send it falling, which could shatter your entire door (assuming it is made of glass). Then what are you going to do? I built one like this, and it makes me nervous.

I'm sure others have additional opinions and contributions to the pros/cons. The deciding factor for me in the end was the shape of the tank (long) and ability to open a small % of the tank at a time that led me to sliding for my past 2 builds. When I do a vert, I will probably go with a vertical axis hinge.