Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Poor fly production

Like Phil said- there are tons of variables that go into fly cultures.

Big ones off the top of my head, by order of importance:
Moisture
Temperature
Population density
Surface area
Nutrition

When I say Moisture (and list Nutrition at the bottom of the list), I’m mostly talking about the consistency of your media. I’m convinced that the wild variability between different people and the big name cultures is that each brand of culture has a different dry ingredient:water ratio. And based on everyone’s local culture environment (temperature, humidity, airflow), each brand performs differently.

72F is a little on the cool side IMO. The flies will still produce, but generation time would be faster if warmer.

Population density refers to the number of flies you start each culture with, and how dense you allow it to get as it produces. You might just be starting with small seed numbers compared to Josh’s cultures.

Surface area- whatever substrate you’re using for maggots to pupate on. Not a big deal, lots of options.

Nutrition- listed last to convince you the problem isn’t the particular brand of media. Still pretty important, but easily covered by using any big brand media.

ETA: all the Mad Science and opportunities for failure is why people recommend culturing flies for a month or two before getting frogs. A certain amount of failure and experimentation is part of the process.

Last edited by Broseph; 01-15-2020 at 12:41 PM. Reason: ETA