Dendroboard - View Single Post - Voracious Species?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Voracious Species?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfrog View Post
It sounds like you may want a bull frog to eat all those flies.
Not sure a bullfrog will eat the excess once they get larger, and I'm not exactly looking for such a big species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmc View Post
Adult and juvenile Rhacodactylus will eat thawed insects mixed in a fruit slurry. Pinheads, fruit flies, surplus dubia nymphs.

All you have to do is freeze them in a zip loc. Pour into smashed fruit or pre made slurry. They thaw almost immediately.

Its alot more normal than eating reconstituted soy powders.

Try it. Perfect use for a volume of FFs.
Currently am keeping Eurydactylodes Agricolae and Mourning Gecko's but they don't go through flies much. Mournings will tag a few, but once they get a taste for MRP they tend to leave FF's alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsuma View Post
a lot of tropical fish are great for excess flies.
Funny you mention this, I was considering trying to find a surface feeding species that could knock out the excess. Decades ago when I was a kid I used to catch fruit flies and feed them to betta's when I was breeding them. Just don't need a wall full of jars full of individual fry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Frog View Post
tincs will voraciously eat fruit flies.
This is good to know! I've got an 18x18x24 Exo that's been setup for a year that initially I was looking to put Tinc's into, but then it turned into a vivarium with multiple carnivorous species of plants and I was concerned about a frog getting into a pitcher and not being able to get out. Besides that I've got another 18x18x24 that's planted and bioactive without predacious species of plants but just needs a glass top installed to keep up the humidity needed for the Darts.

I'm working on replacing a display aquarium with one of the new ZooMed paludariums, but not sure if a big water feature is safe for frogs.