Dendroboard - View Single Post - R. imitator breeding/calling seasonal patterns?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 10:12 PM

Default R. imitator breeding/calling seasonal patterns?

I introduced my first 1.1 pair of R. imitators (Varadero) in September, and am looking for a little input on calling/breeding behavior. First, a few relevant details. The pair is in a well established 12x12x18 viv. I'm not actively trying to promote breeding, but was hoping they might raise some clutches on their own. They have four broms as possible laying/rearing sites. I mist twice daily and generally keep the humidity above 75%. Average temps are 69-74 this time of year and 70-78 in the summer.

As I mentioned, they've been together in this tank since September, and early on the male was calling a lot and exhibiting what I took to be mating behavior (following the female around very actively, and I'd catch them huddled up in broms together.) Since I plan to let them raise any tads, I have not looked for clutches very invasively, but haven't seen any. After several months of frequent calling, the male has become very quiet. I still see both frogs regularly, but I don't see the mating behavior I did before, and almost never hear calls.

I'm wondering how typical this kind of cyclical change in mating behavior is. Is it a seasonal thing related to temps etc? Or could there be other causes for the lack of calling? I haven't seen any egg feeding or other behavior that would make me believe they're raising tads, but I suppose that's a possibility? Just looking for any observations from folks who have raised and bred imitators. I'm not in a big hurry for them to mate, but would like to get an idea of the reasons behind this behavior. Thanks!