Dendroboard - View Single Post - 60g Paludarium w/ waterfall and bog - build log
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 11:47 PM

Default Re: 60g Paludarium w/ waterfall and bog - build log

Quote:
One question - I've been using Gaps & Cracks, but I'm running out and I have a can of Window & Door - does anyone know the difference? Should I go buy another can of Gaps & Cracks to finish?
I only use the Window & Door when installing new or replacement - wait for it! - windows and doors. Ha ha.

Seriously though - I have always found that it doesn't dry rigid. It always stays a little squishy. I think that's the "give" it needs to not push too hard on a window or a door, which could make them bulge out & not open or close smoothly. So I've never used that formulation in vivs. I wouldn't do it - just go get another Gaps & Cracks can.

Hey here's a good tip about foam. Use a mist bottle of water with it. Hit the spot you're about to foam with a little mist. Then spray out your foam right there. Then mist some more onto the new, sticky foam. It cures faster, harder, and bigger. Seriously, you get like twice the coverage from a can, and it cures way faster. You're maximizing the chemistry, basically.

Quote:
Another question - a 3/4" Lifegard Aquatics bulkhead kit just came and it's HUGE. Is this the right size? I'll be drilling two holes, one each for land and water areas.
I've used that size, and 1/2", and sometimes I just use a little dinky Mistking bulkhead. Depends on the application, how much flow you need to pass through it. 3/4" is way overkill for land drainage, unless you're worried about clogs. But, 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings are available anywhere, and are cheap, which is nice if you're going anywhere with that water (some folks e.g., build a fairly elaborate joining-drains system to all dump into one bucket somewhere out of sight. For recirc systems, don't combine water from >1 tank unless you've got great filtration). Mostly I just use 1/2" because a lot of canister filters and other water pumps accommodate that size hose and fittings. Some of my vivs with recirc features have an input of 1/2" (connects to pump) and a drain of 3/4" (drains to sump, where pump is located or sucks out of).

Just don't do stuff in 5/8". Kinda hard to find elbows etc. Some pumps & filters nudge or shove you that way - if so, just adapt up to 3/4".

Good luck!