Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 12-25-2019, 12:03 AM

Default The business of flies

Flies are a pita, I'm not sure if I truly understood if it would have made a difference. I keep 4 saltwater aquariums with some difficult rare predatory fish that eat live food, and keep 2 feeder tanks; so I'm not shy to high maintenance. But these flies and feeding are a real pita.

While researching the subject, feeding seemed simplified and no big deal. My main lrs made it seem like no big deal. We'll skip the accidental spills and the escape to find little flies crawling all over, really no big deal. But keeping cultures going and keeping a constant food supply has really become a challenge. One weeks culture crashed and now I find myself playing catch up. It's only been a couple of months having my frogs, but I can see how this plays into the high mortality rate. I did a bioactive vivarium and the maintenance of the habitat is very minimal, but the maintenance of these flies are high maintenance.

We have a few lrs, most of which I consider very good stores, but you'll never find a producing fly culture for sale. Even when they have fly cultures they'll have a few crawling around, barely enough to start a culture and one feeding if you are very lucky. I've seem cultures dated 1 month hence and no visible flies, but for sale. When the weather permits, online orders seemed to be hit or miss, and then there's the shipping charges.

So the point of this post is for newbies to really research if they have what it takes, for this business of flies. Other food sources are even less available or appropriate.