Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Thread: Pulling Eggs
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Pulling Eggs

I thought I had pics of this very scenario, but I can't find them. (fail) So Thanks to the trickery of photoshop I have made an illustration of what Mark was talking about. I don't use butter lids, but petri dishes (being the guy with all the petri dishes).
The first photo is a cluster of D. tinctorius eggs on a leaf (Bird's nest fern).
The second photo is how I keep them in the dishes to "hatching". These pre emergence tads have been submerged about 3mm in water through their entire development. It is vitally import not to "drown" the eggs by full submersion. Keep the water level about half-way up the gel clump. This is enough water for them to emerge into.
The third photo is a mock up of how I have cut a section of leaf and put it in a petri dish and raised the water level up to the same relative height.

The dishes are great because they have covers that will keep the eggs clean, reduce evaporation, but still allow a small amount of gas exchange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eggs.jpg (98.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DishOeggs.jpg (36.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg eggsOnLeaf.jpg (94.0 KB, 24 views)
Socratic Monologue (12-07-2019)