Dendroboard - View Single Post - My new juvenile terribilis! Also - ff dust question / smell
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 08:48 PM

Default Re: My new juvenile terribilis! Also - ff dust question / smell

I would be surprised if the smell was coming from the excess supplement. However, the white is pretty ugly, so I try to keep excess supplement to a minimum (philsuma is right, though, that the microfauna can benefit from it if it's on the substrate). Impossible sometimes because some of the white will bounce off the flies when they hit and in some of my tanks the flies deposit some on the glass as they make their bee-line to the top of the tank.

SM, am I understanding that you are using the same dust multiple times? If so, I don't recommend that. For one thing, unless you are refrigerating your 32 oz container between feedings, the dust in there from last time is exposed to the air at temps that makes it go bad eventually. No idea how fast, but if you are doing this every feeding, there could be some pretty old (and larger-particled, see below) dust in there over time. More importantly, though, any dust is not perfectly uniform and the smallest particles are the ones that stick to the flies the easiest. Even when you add new dust each time, you are still mixing it with the old, larger particles which means that you aren't getting as much of a coating of dust as you might be. This maybe no issue since maybe our frogs are getting plenty of supplementation regardless, but I would guess it adds to inconsistency and, at worst, you may not be getting as much supplement to your frogs as you thought you were. On the other hand, it maybe that my grasp of the English language has yet again failed me and you aren't doing what I thought you were :-)

philsuma's comment reminded me that instead of rolling the dust forward, I usually just dump the excess into one of my isopod cultures.

Mark